Charleston Village Homeowners Association
February 23, 2004
Members Present: Franc DiBari, Joe DiBari, Tim Ruff, Rob Sauerwalt, Dawn Stokes
Members Absent: None
Others Present: Penny Fields, Ron and Sheri Fincher, Hermen Jaffe, Barbara Key, Ed and Michele Pierzgo, Phil Stork, Joe Ross (Custom Canvas Works)
I. Open Forum:
- Hermen Jaffe presented the Board with two aerial photos of Charleston Village during initial construction, to be displayed in the Clubhouse.
II. Call to Order: The meeting at the clubhouse was called to order at 6:10 P.M.
III. Establish Quorum: Quorum established.
IV. Minutes Approved:
- The January 26, 2004 minutes were approved as corrected. Motion to approve by Rob Sauerwalt; seconded by Tim Ruff.
V. President’s Report:
- Rob Sauerwalt presented Barbara Key with recognition award for outstanding service/contributions as past Board Member.
- Tim Ruff will deliver David Randle’s award to him at his home residence.
VI. Treasurer’s Report:
- Dawn Stokes provided detailed review of the Treasurer’s Report.
- No major expenses to report.
- Moved Rec - Telephone from Recreation Area Expense to Utility Expense.
- Monies have been reinvested to CD’s with North State Bank.
- Franc inquired if we had a Petty Cash Fund? Per Sheri Fincher, ‘No’. Monies of this nature will be put into an operating fund.
VII. Committee Reports:
- Matt Stokes reported that one Architectural Request Form had been reviewed and two violations reported.
- Franc DiBari asked if we have a procedure to follow-up on Architectural request after the work has been completed? At this time, no procedure is in place!
- Penny Fields was informed that a Contractor would change the A/C filters in the Clubhouse.
- Barbara Key and Penny Fields will author a punchlist of items requiring repair in the Clubhouse.
- No Report this month.
- Franc DiBari reported that help is needed to carry out Grounds Committee responsibilities.
- Pond ownership: Ron Fincher reported that the lower pond on Battlewood is that the upper pond is co-owned and ours.
- Ron Fincher will be meeting with the Army Corp of Engineers to discuss blockage of wet area by the Rec Lot and Old Jenks Road.
- Ron will also be meeting with the Town of Apex next week.
- Hermen Jaffy informed the Board that he requested Apex to install sidewalks from the CV main entrance to Hwy 55, four years ago.
- Dawn Stokes asked about the damaged fence around the Rec Lot; twelve (12) bolts are missing. Franc DiBari requested Sheri to provide name of a Fence Contractor to make the repairs.
- Dawn Stokes inquired about the drainage problem on the Rec Lot.
- Franc DiBari and Dawn Stokes spoke on behalf of Wanda Hanley who was not in attendance.
- Reported that there was considerable lack of participation at last month’s Pool Committee Meeting.
- Committee sign-up sheets will be available at the scheduled Easter Egg Hunt in April.
- We are still looking for another co-chair for the Pool Committee.
- Pool Committee will meet the 3rd Wednesday of every month until the pool season officially opens.
- No report this month.
VIII. Manager’s Report:
- Submitted with Board package/included in the Agenda for the February 23 meeting. Brief summary as reported by Sheri Fincher:
- $65.00 outstanding invoice for Rodney’s Signs will be paid (previously approved). Permission given to R.S. Fincher to release funds.
- Keys to Clubhouse have been issued to designated personnel.
- Documentation has been ordered from CAI.
- Sheri informed the Board that a one-day course entitled ‘ABC’s of Community Management’ is coming up in May and suggests we send two people.
IX. Old Business:
- Issue at 2109 Battle Wagner discussed. Letter will be sent to the homeowner on the 12th of March.
- Rob Sauerwalt motioned to remove this issue from the Board and re-direct to the ARB. Motion seconded by Joe DiBari.
- Pool Card Keys:
- Received quote from Citadel Locksmiths for $5,958.65 and an additional $2,389.28 for the Clubhouse door. (see Manager’s Agenda Package)
- Dawn Stokes mentioned that we would require an additional phone jack. It would be a dedicated line (same as existing line) and would handle both the pool gate and the Clubhouse door.
- Ron and Sheri discussed the many variables of the card system.
- Franc DiBari requested Warranty information/details and labor costs.
- We still require two (2) additional quotes.
- A special meeting may be necessary to have a system installed by April 15th.
- Rob Sauerwalt asked if we (the Board Members) all felt comfortable with R.S. Fincher requesting additional quotes. All agreed.
- Pool Shade Structure:
- Wanda Hanley has been instructed by Dawn Stokes to obtain additional quotes.
- Joe DiBari motioned to remove this topic from the agenda until the Pool Committee obtains other options/alternatives. Motion denied; will remain under Old Business.
- Franc DiBari requested that two (2) more bids be obtained in addition to the original (and only) bid obtained by Laura Linton.
- Franc DiBari motioned to obtain two (2) additional bids and review of specifications. Motion seconded by Rob Sauerwalt; Motion carried.
- Rec Lot Shade Structure:
- Hermen Jaffy proposed cover that can be dismantled and removed every six (6) months.
- Guest speaker was Mr. Joe Ross, representing Custom Canvas Works.
- We currently do not have a budget line item for this expenditure.
- Rob Sauerwalt motioned R.S. Fincher to come up with alternative(s) to a cover, i.e., different color slide to deflect heat. Motion seconded by Dawn Stokes; motion carried.
- Rob Sauerwalt motioned for R.S. Fincher to obtain appropriate number of quotes for pond maintenance for next meeting. Motion seconded by Franc DiBari; motion carried.
- Election of Officers:
- Franc DiBari motioned to table until the next meeting. Motion seconded by Dawn Stokes; motion carried.
- Signs for Hold Road Entrance:
- Todate, three (3) bids have been received.
- Franc DiBari motioned to table yard appearance sign until further notice. Motion seconded by Joe DiBari; motion carried.
- Electrical would be completed at a later date, at an additional cost.
- Signs Unlimited => $1,447.50 for repair item, $6,970.00 for new sign, $150 yard sign, other sign, totaling $8,567.50.
- Minus 10% = $7,710 if Signs Unlimited used for all three (3) items.
- Franc DiBari motioned to approve Sings Unlimited for the above bid (all 3 items), but, not to exceed $8,000. Motion seconded by Rob Sauerwalt; approved unanimously.
X. New Business:
- Dawn Stokes asked if we are going to have a Board Rep at all Committee meetings?
- Need education for the Committees.
- Rob Sauerwalt motioned that the Board need not send representative to Committee Meetings. Motion seconded by Dawn Stokes; motion carried.
- Rob Sauerwalt signed document for R.S. Fincher, i.e., “Change of Rep”.
- CIA documentation approved.
The next regular meeting will be Monday, March 29, 2004 at 6:00 PM at the clubhouse. There being no further business to discuss, a motion was made to adjourn the meeting. Approved unanimously.
Joe Di Bari
Charleston Village Homeowners' Association